Carrying on with the theme of the week, Madipalooza, the line-up was just recently announced with Strongwater starting off the day, MisterWives (the headliner) going on next, Tyler Bryant & the Shakedown following the headliner, up and coming country artist Chris Lane going on fourth, and then Great Caesar, Can’t Stop Won’t Stop and Steal The Prize are the final three acts! Take a look at a brief profiling of each of these bands to make up your mind as to whom you want to see:
1. Strongwater – Harrisonburg native folksy band, Strong Water is a four-piece string band with fiddle, cello, banjo and guitar. They have a slight bluesy-esque feel with a female lead singer. In addition, they rightfully earned their spot at this Festival by winning UPB’s annual Rumble Down Under competition. These guys are a great opening act and surely not to be missed.
Popular songs: Awhile, Scary Man, The Lion Comes (https://soundcloud.com/strongwatermusic)
2. MisterWives – This indie pop dance group hailing from NYC is the headliner of Madipalooza. They have opened for some big name artists such as Twenty One Pilots, American Authors and The Bleachers. MisterWives is only three years young but has risen to fame very quickly. Their songs Vagabond, Our House and Reflections have been featured as the theme song for MTV’s Finding Carter and Budlight’s “Whatever USA” commercial. Much like Strongwater, MisterWives has a female lead singer but unlike Strongwater, MisterWives is more upbeat and fun!
Popular Songs: Reflections, Our House, Vagabond (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwQIPsdr-FATQqJkXgQGNKw)
3. Tyler Bryant & the Shakedown – This edgy Rock N’ Roll band from Nashville has killer guitar riffs and solid lyrics to boot. They are the closest thing to the more classic rock genre that Madipalooza offers this year and if the classics are your thing, then check them out! You will not be disappointed.
Popular Songs: Where I Want You, Say a Prayer, You Got Me Baby (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRvnL_jzOI&list=PLXujnHinicQfbgJbVGXdBE0UvfJRM4v5x&index=2)
4. Chris Lane – An on the rise Country singer who will bring energy and a down south good time to the many fans of this genre at JMU. He has a more college vibe than the other two and of course talks about heartbreak and more importantly drinking! He has opened up for The Band Perry, Lee Brice, Eli Young Band and many more of these country royalty. He comes on fourth in the line-up so be sure to see him!
Popular Songs: Broken Windshield View, Starting Tonight, All I Ever Needed (https://www.youtube.com/user/celane)
5. Great Caesar – This indie-rock band drawing sounds that can compare to Arcade Fire, Great Caesar, has some of the most beautiful lyrics that address real issues such as love, race and gender. They are from NYC and have a chill, sultry sound that is very easy to vibe to. Don’t sleep on these guys because they have been on the rise since their hit song, “Don’t Ask Me Why.”
Popular Songs: Still Love, Hey Jolene, Holiday (https://www.youtube.com/user/greatcaesarband)
6. Can’t Stop Won’t Stop – This LA based rap duo infuses the traditional hip-hop beats and infuses them with modern lyrics. They remind me of The Beastie Boys with the amount of energy they bring to the stage and using actual instruments such as trumpets and saxophones to make their beats adds a whole new dimension to their music. These two are not just another set of white rappers, they a fresh breath of air in this growing genre.
Popular Songs: Scrape The Sky, Cool Summer, Up and Away (https://www.youtube.com/user/CSWSMusic)
7. Steal The Prize – Closing out the show, is this groovy rock n’ roll band from just outside of Harrisonburg in Lynchburg, VA. They pride themselves on their ability to improv and have a really mellow vibe that is a perfect way to cap of Madipalooza!
Popular Songs: Don’t Judge Me Jesus, Aware Wolf, The Cost of Freedom (https://www.youtube.com/user/stealtheprize)